Indonesia needs 2,000 independent surveyors

REPUBLIKA.CO.ID, YOGYAKARTA — Agrarian and Spatial Planning Ministry and the National Land Agency (BPN) have said Indonesia needs 2,000 independent land surveyors. “In order to overcome the shortage of human resources, we will recruit licensed independent surveyors. We will take some 1,000 to 2,000 professional ones,” the Minister of Agrarian and Spatial Planning and the Head of BPN Sofyan Djalil said.

The minister made these remarks while delivering his keynote speech at the third conference on Geo-spatial Information Science and Engineering (CGISE) and the Annual Scientific Forum of the Indonesian Surveyor Association (FIT-SIS) 2016 on Thursday.

He said Indonesia still lacks surveyors to carry out surveys and map out land. Indonesia now has about 2,000 surveyors, of whom only about 1,000 are active in the field. Sofyan said the ministry is now preparing a ministerial decree as a legal umbrella for the appointment of independent surveyors.

Earlier, President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) had said that only about 44 percent of land plots in Indonesia have been certificated. “The remaining 56 percent are land plots, which have no certificates yet,” President Jokowi said on the occasion of handing over of 3,515 land certificates issued through the 2016 Strategic Land Program, in Surakarta last week.

The president admitted that the National Land Certification Program (Prona) had been running for 35 years, but until now the certification program has not yet been completed. “I hope this program would not stop only at a ceremonial event for a symbolic handover. I want to assure that all of you will have land certificates,” Jokowi stated.

The head of state has targeted that the National Land Agency (BPN) should issue 60 million certificates by 2025. “I have ordered the minister and BPN head. If I work I have a target. Next year, there must be 5 million certificates issued across the country, the following year, 7 million and 9 million certificates in 2019,” he said.

Referring to the shortage of 10 thousand field officials, the president asked how non-civil servant officials could be used. The important thing is that they are trained and given certification. “If we recruit civil servants it would take a long time. We should not use civil servants. Non-civil servants can be used, but they have to be certified first,” he said.

Jokowi said he wanted that all citizens should have (land) certificates and that BPN should prepare a system so that this goal can be achieved. On the occasion, the president also asked land certificate holders to keep their certificates safe.

They can use their certificates to obtain bank credits, but in this case certificate holders should make a careful calculation first. “If you want to obtain credit from banks, please keep the certificates. But you should be careful with the calculation. You should not take credit only to buy a vehicle. If you want to borrow money, the money should be for productive business, for increasing capital,” the head of state stressed.